JUser: :_load: Unable to load user with ID: 42

Q: My neighbor and I are having a dispute regarding the boundary line of our properties. Can the Zoning Office help me?

A: No. This is not a zoning issue. Boundary disputes are personal legal matters and are not within the jurisdiction of the municipality (NOTE: Unless a municipal boundary is the subject of the problem). You should consult an attorney or your title company to assist you.

Q: I was told that a homeowner on the other side of town received a variance similar to the variance that I am requesting. Shouldn't my variance be granted too?

A: Not necessarily. Each application stands on its own merits. Until the board members hear and consider the evidence it is not proper for them to pre-judge the application or appeal. Essentially, the board is a quasi-judicial body and should be respected as you would a court of law. You can expect that your application will be considered fairly but you should not expect that the result will be the same as in a similar case. No two zoning cases are exactly the same.


Q: What happens to a variance if I sell my home or business?

A: Variances run with the land. This means that a variance will continue in effect as ownership of the property or business changes. However, the new owners must adhere to the terms and conditions of the original variance granted and obtain all other necessary approvals and permits as required by law. NOTE: If a use permitted by variance is abandoned the variance is abandoned as well.